Sunday, 20 February 2011

One Layer Wednesday Challenge 41 - Christmas!

I've been having fun discovering new challenges to take part in and one that I've been following for a few weeks now is One Layer Wednesday hosted by Susan over at Simplicity. I decided to take the plunge and jump in this week. This week's challenge is to create a One Layer Christmas card using red, green and white or cream.

I like the idea of making Christmas/Season's Greetings cards throughout the year to avoid making them all within a month or two later in the year. So this is my first Christmas card this year!


I actually made two other versions of this before settling on this one. The first had the sentiment in the upper left corner and the layout looked wrong. The second had the whole reindeer on the card (so no antlers over the edge). That looked ok but a bit predictable. So then I stamped the reindeer with a part of the antlers over the right edge which seemed the most balanced placement for the reindeer as a whole. 
Anyway, I think it's ok for a first attempt for this challenge. 

The reindeer stamp is by Kanban, and the sentiment a freebie from Crafts Beautiful magazine Christmas 2010. The inks I've used are Memento in Bamboo Leaves and Rhubarb Stalk as the challenge stated it was ok to use less traditional shades of red and green.

16 comments:

Paula said...

ooo me likey!

Susan Raihala said...

Me likey, too! And I'm so glad you shared your design process, too. It's always so interesting and helpful to read someone else's thoughts unfold.

Thanks so much for playing along with the OLW challenge!

Hazel (Didos) said...

WOW this is stunning what a fabby card. Love it, Hazelxox

Deborah said...

Lovely, simple, elegant. And I admire your resolve to start extra early on your Christmas cards. I always say I will and it never ever happens LOL

Angelnorth said...

Beautiful reindeer stamp, very classy looking card!

Leina said...

You are so talented! You have a great eye for composition!

Caroline Hallett said...

laura this is a lovely card - I really like what you have done with it (and wish you could have shown me this in say November when I was struggling with ideas for cards to make!) Caroline x

Susan said...

I think you definitely ended up with a fabulous design! Great card!

Debgem said...

This is just gorgeous!! Love the reindeer!!

Malyn said...

That is the most gorgeous reindeer stamp! I love the green you used and that's coming from one who's favourite colour is green (shades matter!).

cheers,
Malyn

Malyn said...

Gorgeous reindeer. Gorgeous green (my favourite colour and shades matter!).

cheers,
Malyn

Scrappy~Sarah said...

beautiful

craftytrog said...

Looks great, love the reindeer! x

Kim Singdahlsen said...

I LOVE your blog! You just commented on mine so I came over to see yours and I am so glad I have found you. I had seen your card for OLW when I posted mine last night and had planned to check it out. So now I get to see all of your work - and it is great! You are definitely in my favorites - I love your work!

joanne wardle said...

really lovely

Shirley-anne said...

beautiful Christmas card . I love making Christmas cards all through the year . I have candy for some one who makes 50 Christmas cards by 1st December . All info on my side bar with photo of candy
Hugs Shirley-Anne